Alsace Wine Holiday 2018
Monday 25 June to Tuesday 3 July (8 nights in France)
The holiday, as usual, includes travel to and from the North East. It also includes bed, breakfast and evening meal in a shared or twin room.
Meals include two glasses of wine with dinner (and possibly more!).
If the weather is good, we'll arrange as usual, our famous picnic lunches. These are not included in the cost of the holiday - we charge a modest €7.50 per person per lunch.
The falling pound and an increase in the cost of the coach have forced up prices a very little but we've done our best to keep this to a minimum. The holiday costs £1499 for a place in a shared/double room (single rooms are available at a supplement of £25 per night) - just a £10 increase on last year! As you know our intention is not to look for a commercial margin on this trip, we're simply attempting to cover our costs. Travel by ferry helps us to achieve this.
- We have secured a bigger (29 seater) coach, with lots more space.
- We will be staying for our first and last nights as usual in Abbeville, but the nights in Alsace will be at the lovely Auberge Ramstein in the village of Scherwiller, right in the heart of the classic vineyard area.
The sad news is that our normal destination is unable to take us (no, it's not our reputation - they simply won't be open when we'll be there). Laurence and Christian have been incredibly kind and suggested this as an alternative because the food is great and the rooms are very good. All our rooms have balconies!
For a booking form, please e-mail Olwen:
* * *
- Monday 25 June
- Leave North East (Newcastle Central Station - with link from Slaley!) early morning - crossing by ferry to Abbeville Hôtel Mercure, Hotel de France.
- Tuesday 26 June
- A gentle drive down to Alsace, with a Champagne visit and tasting en route in the late morning - by popular demand!
- Wednesday 27 June to Sunday 1 July
Visits in and around the Alsace vineyard.
- Our new base at Scherwiller will enable us to look more closely at the southern end of the region, but it would be such a shame not to visit one or two old friends, including, of course, the Becht family.
- New wineries we plan to visit include to the Domaine Schoenheitz in Wihr au Val - a marvellous discovery - Frey-Soller in Scherwiller itself and the excellent Cave de Hunawihr.
- As usual, we will make two visits each day, but will include a full driver's day off on Sunday July 1 - time to potter around Scherwiller and the surrounding countryside.
- Monday 2 July
- Easy drive back to Abbeville, with time for shopping
- Tuesday 3 July
- Return to North East via a ferry.